Re: Official Closing - politics discussion healthy for the list

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 21:44:32 PST

Politics controls our existence! It would be so nice if we didn't have
to think about what is happening outside our classrooms (or cart as the
case may be) and we could just concentrate on the art education of our
charges but if we keep heads in the sand we will not have classrooms or
carts!

I have never understood why some people think it is rude to discuss
politics on the list. Most of us are public servants. Perhaps we
confuse what we were taught about subjects that should not be discussed
at a social gathering. This is not a social gathering. It is our
business which has politics as the supporting foundation. We better
keep a close eye on what is going on.

Of course we will have varying points of view and this is healthy. We
need to hear those points of view. Forewarned is forearmed.

Sharon ~ NJ

On Thursday, April 1, 2004, at 03:58 PM, Deb M. wrote:

> I know people get mad when we talk politics on this forum - but this
> is where Bush's policies are really a disaster - his no child left
> behind act is leaving every child behind. Get involved in politics at
> the local level and work for change in November - I know I am.....
>> Our school board voted last night to close my middle school at then
>> of June and send our present 6th and 7th graders over to the other
>> middle school as 7th and 8th graders. With a possible N.Y. State
>> retirement incentive in the offing it is difficult to determine how
>> many teachers might be let go or "excessed." The New York State
>> budget was for the 20th consecutive year not in place today as it
>> should be but if the incentive is not put in by the end of the school
>> year it is possible that as many as 60 teachers may be gone.
>> Dennis

---