Re: motivation-- middle school

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 20:17:12 PST

TwoDucks@aol.com wrote:

> <snip> Instead of slogging through color
> wheels my students were given a quick demo stressing use of the palette:
> mixing there, while keeping colors in the paint trays fresh (washing and
> wiping brushes with each color change, changing water in coffee cans
> frequently. The assignment? to mix as many colors as possible...and by
> the end of the period to create one fairly neat page with samples of
> "personal colors".

I did this at the HS every semester, and now it's equally successful
with my MSers. They are perfectly content to mix colors for 2-3 days; I
think they're fascinated by all the possibilities. I do it a bit more
structured, though--first they mix several tones of each secondary, then
a variety of tints, then they can experiment. They're required to label
each swatch with the colors they used, so they can refer to their
personal chart when they start painting for reals. They also swap
"recipes" for colors.

Maggie

---