Re: motivation-- middle school

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 16:15:54 PST

Thanks! Yes, fan brushes are wonderful for grass, fur, feathers, trees.
The cd covers is a simple lesson I leave for the subs. I cut a stack of paper into squares the size of cd covers and leave a description of the assignment for the sub. It's simple. Create a cd cover for a real or imaginary band or maybe a compilation cd. Make sure to consider the lettering. Usually bands have a logo or a particular way of writing their name, so they need to make sure their band's name is written in creative letters. They also need to have some image on the cover. They color it in colored pencils. If they have time, they can flip it over and list "school appropriate" song titles for their cd. I usually have some blurb the sub can read about how art is all around us; it is a part of our daily life. Everything from cd covers, to magazine covers, to the packaging on your cereal box has been created by an artist.

I have each class for one quarter (9 weeks) and their art experience is varied. We do have elementary art in our district, but we get soooo many students transferring and leaving that their art education is inconsistent. I always start each project with "fundamental" concepts that are essential for the lesson. For example, when we do a painting project in 6th grade, we spend one class period doing a simple color wheel. At 7th grade, they've learned color mixing, but we spend a few minutes discussing it and I write it on the board (red + blue = violet). I demonstrate and explain how even though their bird is blue, they can't just paint it all blue. They need to look at the bird picture very carefully, because there is also light blue, dark blue, even flecks of green in their bird, etc. If a student asks me: how do I make green? I don't tell them, I ask the kids at their table, "Who can tell me how to make green?" loudly so other kids can hear. It reinforces and reviews as we go.
  Pretty much, I can't assume that they will remember ANYTHING.. if it is essential for the project, I will review it briefly before we start.

Betty Bowen <bbowen@cushingms.k12.ok.us> wrote:
Marcia, those are great ideas and give me a list of things to hope to acquire, like fan brushes. Do you do the CD covers on computers?

Have these students already had art? I have to spend so much time on color wheels and very fundamental stuff because my classes are all mixed together, I only get them one semester, so usually over half the class has never had art at all, including elementary, and don't even know their primary colors.