Re: Egyptian Lessons

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 16:43:32 PDT

I do exactly this with my 7th graders and they love it! We make sarcophagi from clay after discussing Egyptian art and looking at websites that explain mummification. I also have a poster or two of a sarcophagus. Then we create little mummies from carefully shaped newspaper and masking tape blobs, then cover with teensy strips of PlasterCraft (fun stuff that works much like papier mache but looks better for mummies). The goal is to make the mummy just the right size so it will fit inside the sarcophagus. With extra clay we make canopic jars to put inside or along side the sarcophagus for display. The kids decorate the mummy case with heiroglyphics spelling thier names ( I photocopied a handout from an old School Arts magazine) and we painted ours with watercolor. It would be a lot cooler, though, to have gold paint to use! Good luck and enjoy! Jayna

LeAnn Escoffre <lescoffre@chartermi.net> wrote:I am teaching an expoloratory art class which is 4 weeks long and I am
intersted in making mummies with the kids. I have 7th graders. I thought we
could make mummies and put them in a sarcophagus (sp?) etc. Any ideas or
tips?

LeAnn