Vietnamese Water Puppets

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 13:51:36 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I am taking some more time to browse the site I posted earlier. Now I just
have to have one of the antique water puppets (maybe a fish for Christmas? -
smile)
http://asia2you.smoothtrader.com/itemList.aspx?GroupID=30

Here is more information on Vietnamese Water Puppets (no images):
http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/traditions/Vietnamese.html
http://www.sfgate.com/ea/hamlin/1012.2.html
http://www.askasia.org/Vietnam_Challenge/cities/puppet.htm (a few images)
http://www.thingsasian.com/goto_article/article.829.html (one image)
http://www.vietscape.com/travel/hanoi/puppet.html (some images)
http://www.clarkson.edu/%7Ewinklebh/vietnam/puppets.html (one image)
http://www.clivegifford.co.uk/clivelive/waterpp1.htm (Book The Water Puppets
by Clive Gifford)

Lesson plan (lino cut lesson based on water Puppets - see notes)
http://web.ceo.adl.catholic.edu.au/CES/StudiesOfAsia/Catholic/CES/puppets.ht
ml
http://web.ceo.adl.catholic.edu.au/CES/StudiesOfAsia/Catholic/CES/puppets.ht
ml#water

I can see many opportunities for a lesson....maybe some paper mache puppets
painted with acrylics - then clear coated with gloss medium to water proof.
Your puppets wouldn't have to be used on water.

If anyone takes off with the lesson on art/folk art of Viet Nam - Please
post to the list. I want to put your lesson on Incredible Art Department.
Take a look at the other art and folk art on this site
http://vietnamese-artwork.com/. I will add links from my site on (give me
some time before you check for the link):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/oriental.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/textiles.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/puppets.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/links/museums.html#7

I am not selling art here- just ideas (smile).

Judy Decker

---