Harlem Renaissance

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 19:15:30 PDT

A little while ago someone asked for resources for the Harlem Renaissance.
I just got this from the Educational CyberPlayGround.

looks good

"Drop Me Off in Harlem"
     is a multimedia exploration of the Harlem Renaissance (1920s-
     1930s). Students can hear Langston Hughes read his poems,
     listen to Duke Ellington direct his orchestra, or watch
     "Shorty" George Snowden dance the Lindy Hop. An interactive
     map displays important cultural, social, & political
     establishments. Lesson ideas & learning activities facilitate
     an arts-integrated approach to the study of key works & themes
     that emerged. (KC)
     http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/exploring/harlem

"What Is Jazz?"
     presents audio excerpts from four lectures by Billy Taylor at
     the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in 1995. Taylor --
     a noted jazz pianist, historian, & educator -- discusses jazz
     from its roots in the African-American slavery experience,
     through the early days of ragtime, & onward through swing,
     bop, & progressive jazz. Excerpts can be sorted by artist
     or jazz style. They're organized around questions, such as:
     Where was jazz born? How did swing become bebop? How is
     bebop influencing today's jazz artists? Where do ideas for
     improvisation come from? (KC)
     http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/whatisjazz/

---