Re: Student helpers

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 13:59:37 PDT

Our district has a community service class which enables high school
students to work with elementary teachers and their students for 2 1/2 hours
every day for a semester (the high school is on a block schedule). I
believe students get credit like a regular class. It seems to work out well
for everyone involved. You do have to have trustworthy students who are
willing to show up every day, though. Once in a while we have students who
skip, especially if they don't need the credits. I'm assuming that parents
have to give permission to allow their children to drive from the high
school to the elementary school and/or to ride with someone or have
passengers. The students also have other community service projects to do
throughout the semester.

Leah