More on Moroles

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 04:49:52 PDT

on 4/29/03 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: Re: james surls sculpture
> From: lindwood@webtv.net
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:36:09 -0500 (CDT)
>
> Our kids have also met Jesus Moroles! He just happened to be in the
> parking lot at our school with his truck and crane, installing his
> sculpture that is in front of our fine arts building as we returned
> from our sculpture field trip a few years ago.
> What a remarkable coincidence. He was great with the kids! I knew that
> his sculpture was due to arrive anyday, but to have it BE there, still
> on the truck, with him present as they lifted it off and placed
> it....too much!!!! Surls has a long ponytail too. Both of them have a
> great way with kids. If you are in Colorado, you should try to find out
> where he (Surls) lives. Amazing field trip! Moroles lives in Corpus
> Christi.
>
> Linda

Hi,

Just thought I would bounce this off of your last post: Jesús was the
Friday keynote speaker at the 2002 Art Educators of MN Fall Conference and
will be presenting a hands on stone carving workshop at the next Art
Educators of MN Fall Conference in St. Cloud, MN. in November 2003. He is a
wonderful resource and as you said, has a terrific personality. In his
address to our membership last year, he stated that the art teachers he had
as a boy growing up in Texas were a profound influence on him. It was
largely due to that influence that he followed the path that he did leading
him to becoming one of the more globally renowned contemporary sculptors of
our time.

As a side note, we will also be having Sandy Skoglund presenting a keynote
address at the upcoming Fall Conference as well as conducting an
installation workshop at St. Cloud State University.

Kevan Nitzberg
AEM President Elect

---