RE: Student helpers

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 16:42:24 PDT

We have a PALS program that brings HS students into the elementary twice
a week. These are often kids who are thinking about teaching or another
child orientated careers. They are transported via school bus. Generally
I've had good results. Robbie came during science lab on Tuesdays, and
helped with safety. On Thursdays he came during my G&T pull out time. He
worked with my 6 non-identified (i.e. not labeled G&T) boys. They played
chess and talked, most of these boys do not have a father figure. Robbie
really encouraged them and they went through his college application
process with him. They celebrated is acceptance to the school of his
choice, but questioned how far away he is going (Chicago). They couldn't
imagine going so far from their Mothers and little brothers and sisters.

There were problems, last week another PAL effectively mooned my 5th
grade boys. She was working with a small group in the cafeteria. She
leaned over the table her pants slid down revealing her thong underwear.
She was rude to me, when I went stood behind her shielding the view, and
told her to adjust her clothing.

We also have a group of French 3 students who come on Thursdays and
teach our students basic French.

Our only complaint has been both the French 3 and PAL students do not
follow our general dress code. The girls often wear clothing that is too
tight, too short, and too revealing. We have had to explain to one girl,
she should not let the boys in her group sit on the floor - they were
looking up her skirt. We took the boys to task also, but we feel they
should dress more professionally. The boys are often sloppy without the
shirts tucked in. Both boys and girls wear flip flops, which are not
allowed in the general (district wide) code.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert