Re: Student helpers

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 06:26:36 PDT

High school helpers at the elementary level is, in theory, a good idea, but
we have found that it takes a very responsible student to do continuously
good work. Our elementary, middle, and high school is all hooked together
and our "helpers" tend to wander off, use the time as study hall, and
generally abuse this privilege. They all work well the first couple of
months, but few teachers are happy with their helpers now that it's the end
of school. Many elementary teachers feel intimidated about disciplining high
school students (I have been asked many times for help). The responsibilites
of the students don't seem to matter - whether it's reading to an elementary
student, tutoring, cutting paper, making copies, etc. I have 2 helpers at
the high school - one is still going strong and will do whatever is needed
done, the other one is more work than it's worth. I really believe it
depends upon the student. That's my .02 anyways! :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Has anyone had their secondary students help out at the elementary level?
Our
> elementary teacher would like a once-a-week helper. I am concerned about
> student burnout/boredom, safety in transfering, appropriate credit.
However I
> think the idea is a good one...
> Beth

---