Re: industrial design

---------

From: PROPST, JAN (THSJMP01_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 04:43:21 PDT

I have been teaching Industrial Design through our art department for 4
years now. Most people don't don't know what it is. We have a strong
furniture and automotive industry here in West Michigan, and have a
wonderful connection to industrial designers in our community. They have
recommended the following schools to me: Center for Creative Studies
(CCS) in Detroit. The transportation design department is a very, very
competitive program that one can enter after 1-2 years there, but it is
known as one of the best, if not the best. Another excellent school is
Art Center in California- also difficult to get into. One ID person who
went there had an engineering degerr first, and then got in. University
of Cinncinati has an excellent reputation. I have also heard that Ohio
State's program is noteworthy. JCI Inc.from our city often hires from
there. The school encourages internships by their junior year so that
students graduate with a working, authentic portfolio. Ofcourse, Rhode
Island School of DEsign is an outstanding school too.

There are two web sites that your student might find helpful:
www.idsa.org
www.core77.com

Good luck!

Jan