End-of-the-year papier amche

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 07:27:16 PDT

I actually plan papier mache projects for late in the year because the kids
get so engrossed in their work. I rarely have any discipline problems as
they are madly sculpting and painting. I introduce a theme or subject
matter and tell students they may work alone or in a group.

My 7th graders just began creating sea creatures. Students who work alone
are making tropical fish, sea horses, jelly fish etc. Those working in
groups are making manta rays, hammerhead sharks and octopus (life-size)
amongst other things.

This is the format I've used for years and it works wonderfully for me.
Most students want to come in during study halls and after school. Students
who get done early will help create the underwater scenery for our display.

Melissa Speelman
Sycamore Jr. High
Cincinnati, Ohio

---