Re: Latex mold making

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 05:43:51 PDT

>www.lampmanschoolart.netfirms.com on the grade 10 page.

>We will be doing the latex in the coming weeks. I do the scrim of
>cheesecloth and latex - 2 layers and then build up only about 8 layers
>of rubber. I'll let you know when the finished pieces are on the
>website.
>Christine in Canada

Hey Christine,

Went to your site, but the images did not worked. I imagine the html code
must not be exactly right, or images not titled the same as in the
code...etc; for some reason they are not showing.

I ordered a catalog from a technology company on all sorts of resins,
silicones and molds etc., as this is something I want to learn about.

I want for one to make simple molds of a clay relief and produce a resin
casting. I received my catalog and there are so many resins and mold making
silicones and options that I haven't a clue where to begin.

Secondly, I'd like to be able to make some resin castings of some wood
sculptures. If anyone knows of good references for such as well as
explaining what materials are best so I can begin experimenting, I'd
appreciate it. Of course the nontoxic way to go would be preferred, but
will consider what accomodations I might have to make.

I imagine as goes clay reliefs, wanting to make resin copies would require
beginning with a plasticine or oil based clay. Plaster copies could be made
of regular clay while wet, then stand alone by themselves or used as press
molds, but that is not the solution I'm looking for. I will want resin
castings of the clay relief. Thanks everyone...

Larry Seiler
My website, featuring both my artistic and musical personalities-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/

Member of NAPPAP-
http://nappap.org
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---