Re: artsednet digest: April 24, 2003

---------

From: Deborah Gilbert (dngart1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 16:09:59 PDT

on 4/25/03 7:00 AM, Belinda at artsednet@lists.getty.edu wrote:

> I was planning to do a kind of Claes Oldenberg like papier mache
> project with my Art 2's. I wanted them to pick a common but somewhat simple
> object and do it about 2-3 feet big.
> My questions:
> 1) Am I totally nuts to consider this at this time of year?

Belinda,
I have done this project with 5th graders before and they LOVED it and this
is the perfect time of year to do it. It is something that is engaging and
they want to work on so it keeps their attention and focus for the rest of
year. Plus, they WANT to finish and they know the year is almost over so
they tend to work faster. I had kids use cardboard (tubes, boxes, sheet of
cardboard) as an armature, papier mache over that and then they were painted
with tempera. Great fun was had by all!

Deborah

---