RE: Art is...

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 16:44:40 PDT

I sometimes think that is is so regrettable that this list ignores the
philosophical questions that drive our existence.
The "how to" questions persist over and over again. A search of the
archives answers those questions. I'm thinking ...... if you the art
teacher, can't make that search, how do you expect your students to do any
searching? Art making is about searching and questioning and searching
again . It is not about method and technique. The 'how to' comes after the
question

it is the questions

Artists see the question before it is a question.
I think everybody is capable of seeing the question
  yet I see lessons that don't question
What do you do want your students to know about art?

Art is visualizing the answer to a question maybe nobody cares about, or
maybe an answer to a question everybody always cares about.

> Then I've produced a LOT of Art!! Both accidental AND intentional !

How do we teach the invisible?
it's not telling it's asking
it's setting the stage of the wonder and the wander
it's making a place where the wonder is absolutely free to be without any
standard

I suspect so much contemporary art is misunderstood and maybe, often,
offensive because the place to wander wasn't allowed where it should be...

I think maybe we ought to go back and take another look at Lowenfeld
and
I think
in the spirit of artmaking
we might need to reconsider the places we are making for artmaking.

Patty

---