Lichtenstein's interiors

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 14:07:50 PDT

Wendy got me interested in Lichtenstein's interiors. Here is a very nice
exhibit online:
http://www.lichtensteinfoundation.org/chinst01.htm

I really like the sculptures that are shown too - placed in front of the
painting containing the sculpture.

This is a great site:
http://www.lichtensteinfoundation.org/

There is also a book about his interiors:
http://www.book.nu/1555952054

Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art had an exhibit several years ago, too,
and may still have a catalog of that exhibit.
http://www.mcachicago.org/MCA/exhibit/past/Lichtenstein.html

Here is a nice one showing one point perspective:
http://www.walkerart.org/education/aom/97nov/ (probably multiple vanishing
points)

Modern Room:
http://www.chrysler.org/poptopostmodernism.html
http://www.baeditions.com/ROL%20Details/ROL%20LaSortie.htm (from Dagwood's
chair)
http://www.richardgraygallery.com/works.asp?artsID=361&name=Roy%A0Lichtenste
in (nice drawing)
http://www.hamiltonselway.com/lichtenstein/the_den.htm (multiple printing
techniques)

I will be putting Wendy's lesson on IAD as a lesson in two point
perspective. It might be fun to have the students find the vanishing points
in some of Lichtenstein's paintings (make photocopies - or have kids use
tracing paper over small color reproductions).

...a little trivia for you:
"Lichtenstein produced art that looked machine- like. He used a technique
called "Ben Day dots" to create effects similar to those seen in
low-resolution computer images. The technique was invented by Benjamin Day
in 1879, many years before computers were around"

More on perspective- might be fun for younger students to find the vanishing
points in this work - Red Barn(scroll down to Red Barn):
http://www.omsi.edu/visit/hightech/innovationstation/activities/resdepth.cfm
Here is a coloring page for Red Barn and Blame:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/artists/lichtenstein/coloring/redbarn.shtml
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/artists/lichtenstein/coloring/plane.shtml

Extension - Lichtenstein sculpture:
http://www.tallix.com/fabrication.html

Students could make foam core macquettes for larger aluminum sculptures:
http://www.tallix.com/fabrication.html (some macquettes are in the online
exhibit link posted above)

Thanks Wendy for sparking my interest today! I enjoyed this surf.

Judy Decker

---