Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Lichtenstein's interiors

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 14:07:50 PDT

Wendy got me interested in Lichtenstein's interiors. Here is a very nice
exhibit online:

I really like the sculptures that are shown too - placed in front of the
painting containing the sculpture.

This is a great site:

There is also a book about his interiors:

Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art had an exhibit several years ago, too,
and may still have a catalog of that exhibit.

Here is a nice one showing one point perspective: (probably multiple vanishing

Modern Room: (from Dagwood's
in (nice drawing) (multiple printing

I will be putting Wendy's lesson on IAD as a lesson in two point
perspective. It might be fun to have the students find the vanishing points
in some of Lichtenstein's paintings (make photocopies - or have kids use
tracing paper over small color reproductions).

...a little trivia for you:
"Lichtenstein produced art that looked machine- like. He used a technique
called "Ben Day dots" to create effects similar to those seen in
low-resolution computer images. The technique was invented by Benjamin Day
in 1879, many years before computers were around"

More on perspective- might be fun for younger students to find the vanishing
points in this work - Red Barn(scroll down to Red Barn):
Here is a coloring page for Red Barn and Blame:

Extension - Lichtenstein sculpture:

Students could make foam core macquettes for larger aluminum sculptures: (some macquettes are in the online
exhibit link posted above)

Thanks Wendy for sparking my interest today! I enjoyed this surf.

Judy Decker