RE: Circle of Knowledge Strategy

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 05:08:59 PDT

Here is a link, through a Google search:
http://www.geocities.com/educationplace/circle.html

You should most likely also look at "Concept Mapping".

Reading over the first page, this is little more than an
institutionalized, educationalized form of Socratic Dialogue! I guess
if you take out Socrates name it makes it a little less scary. The
methodology is great (I've encouraged and taught it in education for
years, as have others since at least Dewey), but it depends largely on
the abilities of the teacher to present the idea to the students, and to
facilitate the dialogue process. This is not a methodology that most
students are familiar with - this says "Open up and talk; share your
ideas", whereas a lot of them have been raised with "Be quiet; here's
what you're going to think."

Even this site has included this line:

"The important thing to remember about Circle of Knowledge is that they
may be used only to review something that has already been introduced or
taught."

I disagree with this - it totally negates the ideas of native and
experiential knowledge, preconceptions and assumptions. They've watered
the original idea down to a modified "study group". The phrase "only to
review" leaves out any change to make discoveries, new connections and
new knowledge. Even their sentence grammar is incorrect (reflexive
pronoun "they" with singular subject noun "Circle of Knowledge").

Lawrence A. Parker

Philosopher and Educational Consultant