Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

RE: Latex mold making

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 17:28:49 PDT


Latex is an allergen. I would be very careful, send a note home before.
It is one of those allergens, which you have a mild reaction the first
time and then they get worse and can become deadly. I'm not allowed to
use latex paint, and ask the dr. to use vinyl gloves instead of latex. I
forgot when I got my TB test, and that was the quickest reaction to a TB
test the nurse ever saw ;-). I have atopic dermatitis, so I'm higher
risk for reactions to this type of allergen.
 
Sincerely,
Kimberly (In honor of TAKS Week)
There is Always hope. Only because it is the one thing noone has figured
out how to kill yet. Galen in "Racing The Night" episode of Crusade
-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Womack [mailto:jeaneger@jeaneger.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 12:39 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Latex mold making

I have been taking a course in mold-making with latex. It seems that
the
materials are relatively non-toxic. The mold can be made from a statue
that
is slightly less than leather-hard, so you can push an aluminum shim
into
it, OR you can build a clay wall on a dry sculpture. Anyway, you don't
even
need a kiln. HOWEVER, the problem is that the mold needs 18 coats of
latex,
with drying time between 20 minutes to an hour inbetween, including one
coat
that took me 2 1/2 hours to put on, which was the layer of scrim
material.
What I wondered was, has anyone tried teaching this to high school
students?
Was it successfull? What were the problems? Thanks a lot for your
reply.
Jean Womack
San Francisco

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---