Re: end of year student lead activities

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 16:26:33 PDT

One lesson I love to do in the spring with my middle school students is to
take them outside with a cup of waterbased ink, paper, and drawing board.
They draw a landscape using only tools they find on the ground - sticks to
draw with, dandelions to dab leaves on, etc. They always turn out amazing.
They also like to draw with pencils - just getting to sit outside and do art
calms them down. :-) Another idea that appeals to this age group is to
create surreal collages, making new people by swapping heads, adding a dogs
head to a cat body, etc.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Help! This is my first year teaching. (middle school) Because of
> end-of-grade testing, remediation, retesting, field trips, the talent show
> prep, set-up for the 7th and 8th grade dance, I will have most of my
> students only some of the time for the rest of the year. Not only that,
> they are bouncing off the walls because of the beautiful weather. I have
no
> idea what to do with them. What I would like to do is have 7 to 10
> different projects available for them to choose from and require them to
> complete 5 or so for their grade. So, the instructions must self
> explanatory because they will all be working on different things.
> Oh, and one more thing. My supplies are pretty much limited to crayons,
oil
> pastels, drawing and construction paper, and glue. I also have magazines
> and newspapers.

---