Re: Latex mold making

---------

From: Debbie Stone (dstone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 13:47:40 PDT

The biggest problem is the 18 coats put on every 45 minutes. We made up a schedual of kids and their study halls. We had kids come in every period and coat them all. We picked up the next day with the same schedual until we had 18-20 coats. Stopping overnight didn't seem to make a difference. Embedding the fabric ( we used old unused silk screen material ) was done during their class period by the student who made the mold.

>>> "Jean Womack" <jeaneger@jeaneger.com> 04/24/03 01:39PM >>>
I have been taking a course in mold-making with latex. It seems that the
materials are relatively non-toxic. The mold can be made from a statue that
is slightly less than leather-hard, so you can push an aluminum shim into
it, OR you can build a clay wall on a dry sculpture. Anyway, you don't even
need a kiln. HOWEVER, the problem is that the mold needs 18 coats of latex,
with drying time between 20 minutes to an hour inbetween, including one coat
that took me 2 1/2 hours to put on, which was the layer of scrim material.
What I wondered was, has anyone tried teaching this to high school students?
Was it successfull? What were the problems? Thanks a lot for your reply.
Jean Womack
San Francisco