Latex mold making

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 11:39:08 PDT

I have been taking a course in mold-making with latex. It seems that the
materials are relatively non-toxic. The mold can be made from a statue that
is slightly less than leather-hard, so you can push an aluminum shim into
it, OR you can build a clay wall on a dry sculpture. Anyway, you don't even
need a kiln. HOWEVER, the problem is that the mold needs 18 coats of latex,
with drying time between 20 minutes to an hour inbetween, including one coat
that took me 2 1/2 hours to put on, which was the layer of scrim material.
What I wondered was, has anyone tried teaching this to high school students?
Was it successfull? What were the problems? Thanks a lot for your reply.
Jean Womack
San Francisco

---