Aboriginal Art - New York Times article

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 09:08:50 PDT

For those who do Australian Aboriginal art lessons -- I saved this article
(first paragraph below) and will send via attachment to anyone who can not
access the link provided (you might have to subscribe in order to get it):
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/24/arts/design/24ABOR.html?th

        In Australia, Modern Aboriginal Art is a Hot Commodity
      By TONY CLIFTON

      MELBOURNE, Australia, April 23 - Australia's Aborigines may have
created one of the world's oldest art forms and have certainly created one
of the newest. Travelers in the remote outback of central and northwestern
Australia can see cave paintings and rock carvings that date back at least
30,000 years. Then they can drive back to the big coastal cities and buy
paintings by direct descendants of those ancient artists, who use modern
paints and canvases but still refer to symbols and images that may predate
the oldest cave paintings in Europe.

---