Re: What was I thinking!

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust606_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 08:31:48 PDT

Don't you just love the maturity level of some of our wonderful students? This
is why I reserve projects like scratchboard for my major art students. I didn't
have any problems with them, however, they completely understand what the
consequences will be if they do choose to act stupid.
Let me offer a few suggestions here, because some of us don't have the luxury of
major art vs. art appreciation. I understand the whole Art I concept, did that,
been there, don't want to go back : )
First off, is it required in the curriculum? I judge my art appreciation
classes individually. If they seem like a real scary class to me there are
certain things I won't do (like paint). However if you have to do something like
scratchboard there are alternatives. Sax sells the scratchboard sticks, they are
not as dangerous. I went out and bought the scratchboard nibs and bought the
duller of the two choices. When I saw they can handle that I then got the
sharper one as well.
Also, it is a good idea to teach separate rules about each new and interesting
project and enforce them immediately. Those tenth grade boys would never do
scratchboard in my class again, and I would have been on the phone to their
parents.
I have to admit I lost control of my painting class a few weeks ago where
cleanup was concerned. I went home, drew up a set of rules, and that was the
next days lesson. I have not had a problem since then. Especially since they
signed the rules and the parents signed the rules and they know if they break
one it is all over.
Okay, I am going to get off my soapbox now. I hope these suggestions are
helpful. I know how it feels when things go wrong in the artroom. The reason
why I do all this is because of past mistakes. I wish I had known about this
list earlier in my teaching career, I could have saved myself alot of grief. But
I didn't and I have truly learned from ALL of my mistakes.
Michele

Donald Arcement wrote:

> Jana, I totally understand your reaction to the mess and hassle!!! I have
> been working on a scratchboard project with my Art I students and I am ready
> to scream~!!!!~!!!! It seems that two of my 10th grade boys insist on
> sticking the sharp pointy objects into each other and this kind of behavior
> makes me CRAZY~~~~~~~ if you know what I mean.

---