Re: What was I thinking!

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 08:00:39 PDT

Frances Briggs wrote:

> I can relate to the scratchboard tool dilemma too. I also have the problem
> of students bending and breaking the blades. We are about to start
> printmaking and I'm afraid the same thing will occur with the printmaking
> tools. Maybe someone has a strategy for ensuring the best care and use of
> these tools.

My 2D class is finishing up lino block printing. There are some
immature and "wiseguy" freshman and sophomore boys in there that I was a
little leery about letting use the carving tools. They impressed me
greatly with their very mature handling of the tools and the great care
they took. I had made it clear to the class that these were tools, not
toys, and were not to be abused. I wonder if the boys were flattered to
be trusted with such dangerous implements.

We use the Speedball lino cutters, with three different blades inside
the handle. The way I ensure I get them all back is to number each
handle, then assign a number to each student, so he uses the same tool
each day. They took very good care of them and were careful about
making sure all the blades were in the handle at the end of each class
(of course, I checked every one of them as well).

Maggie

---