Re: best textile projects for HS?

---------

From: PROPST, JAN (THSJMP01_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 04:32:24 PDT

In the book, Art of Many Hands there is a recipe for the paste resist.
It is associated with the Yoruba's dying method.

I usually use a beeswax/parfin mix for batik. A wonderful combination
project is to make handmade books with the batiked fabric. The only
thing I recommend with the books is that you don't let them make
traditional photo albulms with them! Yikes!

Each year I get a zealous student who really gets into the batik
process and generates wearable art for him/herself and friends. Sewn,
lined over the shoulder bags and wrap skirts have been popular.

I personally like to combine the batik process with the printmaking-
especially using metalic inks. WOWIE Kazowie!

Jan from Holland Michigan

---