Re: best textile projects for HS?

---------

From: Rebekah Short (ShortR_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 12:09:26 PDT

I have done fiber coiled baskets with great success, even as young as
5th grade. They can incorporate 3-D, sculptural, decorative,
functional, and numerous historical or ethnic traditions as well as
contemporary artists working in this medium. Because the form is
developed as the basket is constructed they balance planning and
improvisation beautifully. They are wonderfully portable for work in
progress to be done anywhere, and can do exciting things with found
materials. I teach my students one or two basic stitches with wrapping
and let them practice on a small piece for a while before planning a
larger work. The only down side for me has been sore fingers when I'm
helping 200 kids with their baskets!

>>> Jarsawyer@aol.com 04/22/03 12:51PM >>>
Hi all, I'm still in my first year teaching high school art students
and I'm
looking back on the curriculum I presented this year -- textile arts
are
sorely lacking! Probably because of my inexperience with them!

Do any of you have any favorite (inexpensive) projects that you'd like
share?

Or is this a recent discussion and I should look through the archives?

Thanks!

Julie

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu