Re: best textile projects for HS?

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 11:50:11 PDT

Julie,
Crizmac offers a video series on Oaxaca. After 20 minutes or so on the
culture of Mexico, it demonstrates a very comprehensive unit on weaving.
Reproducable handouts are included as well as a great into to Oaxacan wood
carving (we do paper mache animals in this style).

Just this past week I took my students to a weaver's studio and followed
the trip with the video. They made some preliminary weaving plans
(cartoons) and now they are starting to warp their looms (we use drawing
boards but you can use cardboard or masonite) and weave.

Often, the freshmen boys will balk at first, but today, as the hour was
ending, this big bear of a boy asked, "Can I take this to my study hall
Mrs. Wise? I am just SO into it."

And that's how it is...with all of them. After a few days they get silent
and SOOOO into it. It is a great, peaceful way to end the year. Typically,
they can't wait to get in the room to get started -- so relaxing and
non-threatening. Once the design is set. the weaving is very soothing. No
decisions to make, just over/under. Sometimes, I start this unit about a
week before going to the convention. In the middle of the 3-4 week unit,
everything is on auto-pilot. No questions, just nice productive, seductive
weaving. Give it a try.
Christa

At 01:51 PM 4/22/03 EDT, you wrote:
> Probably because of my inexperience with them!
>
> Do any of you have any favorite (inexpensive) projects that you'd like to
>share?
>
> Or is this a recent discussion and I should look through the archives?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Julie ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---