Re: Seeking advice on getting kids to finish their work on time.

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 11:14:10 PDT

I teach k-5 and this is what I do. I don't plan a set time for each
project. I keep the kids on task and when I see most students will be done
during the next class I'll say, "Next week is our last art class to work on
this project, use your time extra wisely if you are behind." Then, students
know that if they aren't finished during the next class, they have two
choices. One choice is to keep the assignment in their folder until they
have some extra time in art class to finish. The other choice is to take
it, and do it as homework. I grade the work "in progress" (which is
usually a check minus which is like a "D") because often I never see the
work again, and I don't listen to any excuses about what happened to it
(however, they do have the option to do it again). I will accept all work
at any time as long as it is before I do final grades. Students also always
have the option of redoing or reworking an assignment if they are not happy
with their grade. This works well in elementary, but when I taught high
school students would abuse the policy, waste time, and I'd have a hundred
past due projects to grade the day before final grades were due.

Leah

---