Re: cool clay for sixth grade

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 18:07:16 PDT

I had a video on face jugs at the school where I used to work- I've done these before, too. Thanks for reminding me.

Susan Holland <Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu> wrote:I just had a lot of fun doing face jugs. We joined two pinch pots to form the
jug and then added features, so we needed to score and slip. We used brown
clay for the main form and added white for eyes and teeth. This was part of a
unit in which we discussed pottery face jugs created by slaves in the south,
and also the big pots made by David Drake, who was a slave who could read and
write and inscribed poems on his clay work.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu