masters program

---------

From: Erin (eriu5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 17:42:49 PDT

Sal,
    I am currently pursuing an MA in studio arts with
an emphasis in painting at Northern Illinois
University. I could have done the cohort thing, but
wanted something a little more relevant to art
specifically, and wanted to expand my own knowledge
and skills. I have taken 4 classes so far, and they
have helped my own art improve, as well as improving
my teaching, I find I expect a lot more from my
students now that I am concentrating on my own stuff,
and they live up to those expectations. I think any
program you do will increase your pay and in the end
be worth it. For instance, in my district, if I get
my MA, I can retire with $16,000 more in my pocket.
So over the long haul,you would MORE than make up for
what you spend. Trust me on this, it will be worth
it. Netx year I will have 15 hours, so I will go up
in pay $2000, as well as another almost $2000 for our
regular raise. Those 15 credit hours cost about
$1500, so it's worth it!
Erin