Re: is arts boring?

---------

From: Rebekah Short (ShortR_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 13:56:49 PDT

I would like more info on this grading procedure. It looks like a great
idea. Are there scores involved? Comments? How does this apply to
evaluating individual projects?

Rebekah

>>> lindwood@webtv.net 04/16/03 11:02PM >>>
Well put, Patty.
Our report cards have two grades for art:

1. Develops Ideas Thoughtfully
(Is the child doing the bare minumum or are they actually developing
their ideas, showing thoughtful imaginative approaches in their work.
Are they willing to work at something, or are they more interested in
finishing first? Can they tell you what their work is about?) A
child
who is not especially skillful or "talented" can still make a great
grade here if they can demonstrate that their ideas are well thought
out
and that they care about the thought processes that go into the
creation
of their artwork. Conversely, the child who draws excellently, but
rushes, or shows no individuality or original thought will not
necessarily "slide by" based on skill.

2. Applies Effort To Techniques:
 (are they trying to incorporate demonstated or discussed techniques
and
skills introduced into their work?) I want all of my students to be
risk takers. Succss is not as important as trying to develop new
skills
and learn new techniques. The child who does not have a lot of skill
can still score well here if they are risk takers. Growth is obtained
through risking in art. Experimentation is key!

Linda

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---