Re: is arts boring?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 20:22:35 PDT

What does stress have to do with art is a very interesting question.
A lot of lessons come across this list that are "in the style of." But if
you look at the "stress" that caused those styles.. are you really
teaching the stress that caused the style? And what is the stress today?
and just what thoughts and motivations should we be giving our students to
be engaged in?
Why does thinking cause stress? and do we as visual communicators translate
that thinking into useful relevant stuff?
The university and art school programs are into stuff that we may have a way
to go to catch up with. I have spent the last several months researching
assessment in art education and the research results are slim to say the
most. The advocacy claims are not legitimized. At best, we evaluate
technique and skills but the thinking process has been abrogated to
something too difficult or too time consuming to assess.
Contemporary art, 20th century art is all about thinking process the idea
and the stress that leads to the idea is perhaps more important than the
technique that leads to the product. I'm not saying that traditional
application is not important to conveying the idea, but I am saying that
the idea is more important.

There needs to be some serious thinking to be done in art ed. We have to
let go of some old notions. If in fact, if art is the first language then
we have got to get onto some serious thought of what the language of
tomorrow is and it's very stressful and it's not(maybe) pretty
and it's not standardized.

Art is should be on the fast lane we are not passers-by
if art is about responding to observation then what are the ways and means
we lead our students to respond and lead the tools that will best be
responded to by the consumers of what they have to respond to.

Art is boring because we are boring.
Think about the significance of what you think is relevant to what is
relevant to them. They are in the fast lane and we are still in Renaissance
traditions.
Who cares about what? That's what I ask myself with each lesson and
then I ask if what I care about causes another stress?

oh yeah
Art can be real boring and stressful if relevance is not a factor in
the equation.

Patty

From: "Lawrence A. Parker" <occti@mindspring.com>

Subject: RE: is arts boring?

Tell your student(s) that that is exactly the points of Art - to think, to
create from the stress, and to cause others to think.
Perhaps pursue the point with your students (I would trust that he is not
the only one, and a discussion would give them all a chance to (think) and
express their thoughts.

Why does thinking cause stress?
What does stress have to do with art?

---