Re: Favorite glazes

---------

From: Jayne Wuerffel (wuerfeld_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 20:00:30 PDT

Christina,
A few ideas:
*You could mix some of your own depending on the clay body you use and how
you fire. (Conrad's book on glaze formulations is an excellent source)
* If you don't wish to mix glazes you can do test tiles of glazes that you
have glaze on glaze or fired at different cones. (You might be interested in
seeing the difference in low fired glaes when they are fired higher)
*Also, you might want to consider slips, engobes or colored clays. All of
which are realtively simple.
*One of the few I use straight from the jar is Amaco's Engobe in Amber for
low fired white earthenware. You can get several looks from it depending on
how thickly it is applied and it is always consistent. Either a solid golden
amber or a rich mottled amber with warm brown tones. (My students really
like it!)
J.W.