Elmo response for Betsy

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 10:00:14 PDT

Yes, this is exactly how it works for us.

We had to play around somewhat with the positioning of the lcd panel. We worked
it out by having a very long cord and keeping the stand it was on very low in one
lecture hall, so that the stand itself would not block the presenter. It also
had to be low whenever we would need to switch back and forth between the Elmo
and using the slide projector. It becomes a problem if one faculty member is
left handed and the other is right handed, depending upon how the faculty member
writes with the left or right hand. It can get real complicated real fast. It
is amazing how many things are taken for granted. These are things no one ever
thought about before. It seems the technology is controlling our art historians.

Also lecture halls have solved the problem by putting the lcd projector in the
ceiling and some have some kind of rear projection device. The art historians in
our department have worked out a couple of systems depending upon the technology
available in the room. One room has the Elmo projected with a rear projection
(behind the screen) and a slide projector that projects from the rear projection
booth. The light can be a little blinding when coming from both the rear and the
back of the room. It kind of gives the art historian an etherial glow when both
are being used. I kinda think that's appropriate! :-)

Some small classrooms use a 24 inch TV with the Elmo and access to the internet,
etc. There are a variety of solutions, depending upon the money, facilities and
staffing.

As I said it can get complicated real fast.

The system I use in my computer lab in art education has so many cords I have
learned how to tap dance while presenting. :-) Heaven help me if the projection
bulb goes out. We have one of those bulbs that seems to last forever but costs
$200 or more. It is also a real pain to replace the bulb in the ceiling
projectors. The AV department of the university has taken over this chore, but
it takes a while and an act of Congress to get a bulb changed. Moral of the
story, be ready to switch to traditional teaching methods at a moments notice,
particularly when the electricity goes out and the emergency lights come on.
Technology: love it and hate it.

Hope this helps.

=====
Diane C. Gregory