dry glazes

---------

From: Samantha Shelley (sshelley_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 08:09:06 PDT

Subject: Re: glazing ceramic cups
From: "Aaron Hopkins" <hopkiaar@wcboe.k12.md.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:41:06 -0400

I teach elementary and my fifth graders are doing some cool mugs. I
want to make them safe to drink from and am wondering if mixing my own
glaze is going to save me money. I've seen the "dry glazes" and have a
mixing attatchment for my drill. Does anyones else use the dry glazes
or buy glaze in bulk?

I have been seeing quite a few messages about using dry glazes and no one has mentioned the safety issue enough. You must have a good mask for filtration- the white throw-aways are not sufficient. I keep the dry materials in buckets with lids. I wouldn't mix glaze around my younger students and certainly not without everyone having a mask. You have to mess with recipes, test pieces, etc. I started to do this last year and soon realized the time it took- time I didn't have. I really like Spectrum Glazes They have some nice glazes called Low Stone Glazes that don't typically have that " high school ceramic look"
A gallon of clear is $24.
They are located at 40 Hanlan Rd., Unit 33,
Woodbridge, Ont. L4L 3P6
Ph 905.851.8310
Fx 905.851.8311
They have distributors in several states that carry their stock. In Missouri it's www.kreugerpottery.com and