RE: Masters Program

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 07:58:00 PDT

Alix, I thought I was a person who could self-motivate and create my own deadlines, and I still think I could if I had been given assignments! (HA!)But I admit, I am much better in the classroom environment, discussing the topics face to face with my peers. Distance learning is definitely not for everyone.Jayna

Alix Peshette <apeshet@attbi.com> wrote:Hi,I wanted to offer a different perspective on distance learning programs. I was in the pioneer cohort for the California State University, Sacramento, Internet Masters in Educational Technology. It was the best educational experience of my adult-learner life! We did 75% online and 25% face-to-face. The professors were very conscious of creating a collaborative learning environment. The program started with us meeting face-to-face for three very intense days (grad school boot camp 24/7) to establish a working relationship with each other. During the entire masters program, the cohort members became very close and had incredible discussions online, complete with inside jokes, imaginative virtual environments and even an online baby shower for one of our members. We met face-to-face about twice a semester; but the face-to-face element was crucial to making the program so successful. The final project was an online portfolio. It included an action research pie
ce. My portfolio can be viewed at: http://imet.csus.edu/imet1/peshette/portfolio/ The content was cutting edge, grounded in sound educational practice, and totally relevant to the classroom teacher. The whole program was geared for the mid-career professional and was very respectful of our collective experiences, constraints and expectations. The most important thing is to ask yourself if you can thrive in this environment. One has to be an independent self-initiator who is good at setting and meeting deadlines. Obviously, this kind of program isn't for everyone. I think you have to 'shop around' and even 'interview' the people who will be responsible for the program and content. This online program totally beat the socks off of my previous master's program from the same institution. And where else can you attend grad school from the comfort of your home computer office, dressed in sweats and munching on pretzels? -Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA -----Original Message-----