RE: is arts boring?

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 20:18:25 PDT

Hi,
What you are looking for is a "Hook"; a theme or concept around which to
build an art lesson. I teach junior high school (ages 11-15). There are
certain themes that appeal to this age group: a sense of control, a sense
of the absurd, a sense of affiliation, and anything that boosts self-esteem.
Take their favorite video game heroes and build a lesson around that. They
will be hooked by a sense of affiliation. Super-size some ordinary but
desirable object (hamburgers and fries). That feeds the sense of absurd.
Consider designing paper currency with their portraits on them (good black
and white shading lesson.) This is the self-esteem angle.

Good luck with your group of kids.

-Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School