RE: Masters Program

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 18:57:20 PDT

Hi,
I wanted to offer a different perspective on distance learning programs. I
was in the pioneer cohort for the California State University, Sacramento,
Internet Masters in Educational Technology. It was the best educational
experience of my adult-learner life!

We did 75% online and 25% face-to-face. The professors were very conscious
of creating a collaborative learning environment. The program started with
us meeting face-to-face for three very intense days (grad school boot camp
24/7) to establish a working relationship with each other. During the
entire masters program, the cohort members became very close and had
incredible discussions online, complete with inside jokes, imaginative
virtual environments and even an online baby shower for one of our members.
We met face-to-face about twice a semester; but the face-to-face element was
crucial to making the program so successful. The final project was an online
portfolio. It included an action research piece. My portfolio can be
viewed at:
http://imet.csus.edu/imet1/peshette/portfolio/

The content was cutting edge, grounded in sound educational practice, and
totally relevant to the classroom teacher. The whole program was geared for
the mid-career professional and was very respectful of our collective
experiences, constraints and expectations.

The most important thing is to ask yourself if you can thrive in this
environment. One has to be an independent self-initiator who is good at
setting and meeting deadlines. Obviously, this kind of program isn't for
everyone.

I think you have to 'shop around' and even 'interview' the people who will
be responsible for the program and content.

This online program totally beat the socks off of my previous master's
program from the same institution. And where else can you attend grad
school from the comfort of your home computer office, dressed in sweats and
munching on pretzels?

-Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School