Re: Harlem Renaissance lesson plans for new painters

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 18:09:22 PDT

The Kennedy Center ArtsEdge has a great unit on the Harlem Renaissance

http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/teaching_materials/curricula/curriculum_u
nits.cfm?curriculum_unit_id=69
> Curriculum Unit Detail
>
> Harlem
>
> This five-lesson curriculum unit for grades 34 (adaptable for higher or lower
> grades) introduces students to Harlem, starting with black migration from
> Africa and from the American South to the North, to the Harlem Renaissance
> (including jazz musicians, visual artists, writers, and poets), and on to
> aspects of daily Harlem life (then and now) such as family storytelling and
> street games. The multiple lessons, which can be taught independently from one
> another, include a wide array of maps, research and analytical skills, and
> writing exercises, as well as student activities such as creating visual
> artworks, oral presentations, and dance pieces.

Patty

Subject: Harlem Renaissance lesson plans for new painters

Hi there--

Does anyone have any good lesson plans that would tie into an intro to
painting (after a unit on color theory) with the Harlem Renaissance?
Earlier this year the kids studied Romare Bearden, and since they're
currently working on a huge quilt, they just finished an art history
assignment on Faith Ringgold.

I'm STILL having a hard time making them understand just what Harlem is
(i.e. "a city in New York?"....sigh) and so I thought it might be
interesting to have a project that introduces another artist from Harlem
while jump-starting my beginning painters....

Thanks!

Sharon
email: sharon@art-rageous.net
website: http://www.art-rageous.net