Re: full body casts

---------

From: Erick and Marcy Saoud (saoud_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 17:40:26 PDT

I have known some students at the Univ. of Arizona who
did full body casts. It can be very risky because of the
heat from the setting plaster. I would do the front of the
body one day and the back of the body the next day.
They need to cover themselves in plastic (like grocery
bags) and cover the bags with vasaline. For the head,
use two straws in the nose, and cover all of the hair
with plastic and vasaline. One of my friends did a face
cast, and even with vasaline (maybe not enought) all of
their eyelashes and eyebrow hair was pulled off by the
plaster. You could call the Art Dept. at the U of A at
520.621.7570 and ask to speak to a professor of
sculpture. We are in the Pacific Time Zone right now.

Marcy

> From: Rick <rlarson@tls.net>
> Date: 2003/04/15 Tue PM 05:12:53 EDT
> To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
> Subject: full body casts
>
> Hi, Have any of you done full body casts? I have
some sixth graders who
> wanted to try it, and I'm game. I would have them
sitting in a chair to
> do this. My question is: do you do one side one day,
and the underside
> the next?
> Do you cover them and do just lower body one day
and upper body the
> nest?
> How about the hair? I would prefer a mannikin, but
they are scarce. I
> would be using the pariscraft, which sets up in about
ten min- enough to