Re: Kiln problems with mid fire white clay

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 01:40:56 PDT

Larry, my experience with explosions is usually due to moisture in the
clay. Do a moisture check before turning the kiln up by holding a mirror
or a metal object next to the top peep hole. If you get a fog on the
mirror, there's still moisture in the clay, and are more apt to explode.
Don't turn up to high until there is absolutely no moisture on the mirror.

Good luck.

Judie

>Curious...
>
>opened my kiln, and all three of my wheel thrown pieces with the white
>midfire clay had their bottoms blown out. All other projects were of
>the Mid Range Oxidation (red earthenware) and no problems. Fired at
>08... One larger piece disintegrated entirely.
>
>Wondering if because there is less grog/grit in white clay, if it is
>that much more pertinent to bisque fire at slowest speeds? I fired at
>Medium speed, to about 1700 degrees. The white clay was all new out of
>the bag, and wedged well....
>
>Larry S...

---