Re: papyrus

---------

LMiller435_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 18:37:26 PDT

In a message dated 04/13/2003 8:22:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmeadows@idirect.com writes:

> So ... has anyone made papyrus and/or vellum from scratch?

David, I saw a marvelous "papyrus" made from veggies and fruit, at the Center
For Book Arts, in Minneapolis.

They sliced the fruits very thin on a mandoline and put them overlapping a
bit on a blotter or absorbant piece of paper, They then put the papers and
fruit sandwich in a pneumatic press. And dried them. I just saw them hanging
up. Don't know how they were to use.

Now, we all know our schools are dying to buy is pneumatic presses, but some
sort of pressing in layers of paper or blotter, and pounding might do it.

Leslie in Framingham

---