Re: Ideas from NAEA Conference (LONG)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 11:44:06 PDT

Kimberly Hutts wrote:

> "Let's Get Visual: Using Images in Art Classes"
> presentation by Diane Asay
>
> This was an excellent presentation that gave me lots
> of ideas for art games and sources of visual
> resources.
>
> - "Blind Date": Using prints with figures as their
> main subject matter ask students to speculate as to
> what it would be like "if these two went on a blind
> date."

Wow, Kimberly, your report was like being in Minneapolis again! It was
fun meeting you and having a face to go with the name. Hope you can
make it to Denver next year.

I've been to Diane's presentations before and she's a good one to have
first thing in the morning. One idea of hers that is very useful is to
collect postcards of artwork. You can photograph, in slide form, two or
more together in order to do a compare/contrast without flipping back
and forth. This can also be done with posters.

I've used her "blind date" idea with my art history classes and it's a
lot of fun. My favorite couple are David and Judith (who assassinated
Holofernes). Both were ordinary Jews who did something heroic to save
their people, though by different means. Pick out any two famous works
of people and send them on a blind date.

Maggie

---