Ideas from NAEA Conference (LONG)

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 22:18:43 PDT

Hello everyone,

Before I left for the conference someone from the list
had suggested that we all write in with at least one
idea that we got from attending the conference. I
have not been able to contribute to the list much
before now so hopefully this will make up for that.

"Read All About It" presentation by Kathy Stewart with
Susan Carlson
     Using childrens' books to launch art lessons.
From the book "Big Orange Splot": Design a House,
Create Self-Portraits then glue all houses together
with portraits onto bulletin board paper to create a
neighborhood.

From "My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken & Me":
Draw Houses, Sketch design ideas and incorporate them
onto houses then outline with black crayon and
watercolor.

From "Tar Beach": Create a special place of your own
and add words to the pictures then frame with
wallpaper scraps.

From "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" Create butterflies
using abstract designs made of tissue paper while
talking about symmetry.

From "The Painter Who Loves Chickens": Presenter have
live chics available for students to draw from, but I
bet other visual resources would work too. Use
Styrofoam trays to create prints of chickens. Print
and then texture printing paper with chicken wire
rubbing.

From "Dreamcatcher": Using watercolor techniques and
wax resist create spiderweb designs. Use warm or cool
colors and add a boarder. Add string for web and
attach a spider made of pipecleaners.

"Not Just for Art's Sake" presentation by Eileen S.
Prince

Art across the curriculum. Presenter says to do it
for your curriculum, not just for other teachers'
curriculums.
- Design an umbrella
- Huichol Yarn Paintings
- Egyptian Mural: Profile portrait of students with
various crowns and collars and a cartouche here and
there all displayed on one large piece of bulletin
board paper.
- Alien Art: Students design a work of alien art with
the knowledge that "art reflects the culture that
creates it."
- Heritage Mural: Students create life-sized
self-portraits dressed up in clothes that reflect
their heritage or a particular time period. All
portraits are then displayed together on bulletin
board paper.
- Surrealist Collage
- Word list based off a work of art: Students work in
groups to create a list or words that come to mind
when they look at a particular work of art. They can
not repeat any words. They then write a story or poem
using the word list.

"Aesthetic Experience for Young Children" presentation
by Kathy McGhee

Art Games
- Using color swatches from paint store, have kids to
match colored cards with colors in paintings.
-"Emotional Match": After reading "Today I Feel Silly"
or "My Many Colored Days," students use cards labeled
with emotions (in word or picture form)to match with
works of art that express those emotions.
-The student uses a faux microphone and pretends to be
a news reported. Standing in front of a work of art
the student pretends to be on the scene reporting what
is happening in the painting.

"Creative Jewelry for K-12" presentation by Donna
Alden with Ben Cunningham
Wire jewelry ideas that do not require any special
equipment.
- Using lightweight wire, approx. 26 gauge, create
wire beads and rings by rolling the wire together. It
looked like a random tangled wire to me, with a few
carefully finished twists here and there. Really
cool!
- Create a necklace using wire, Beads, corrugated
cardboard, metallic paint, and embellishments like
plastic gems, symbolic markings, etc. Paint cardboard
with metallic paint and add embellishments when dry.
String beads and embellished cardboard onto wire long
enough to make a necklace. Create loop and hook at the
end of the wire by folding, twisting and shaping the
ends. These were really quick and easy and they look
great.

"Response Activities to Museum Encounters"
presentation by Belinda Smith

I usually have my students to start out each art class
with 5 minutes of drawing in their sketch books. This
presentation gave me the ideas to alternate between
drawing activities and having the students to do "Free
Writing" responses to works of art. I would display
an art print and the kids would just write down
whatever comes to mind while the look at the print.
After a minute or two I could give them a little
information about the art and then let them respond
again.

"Let's Get Visual: Using Images in Art Classes"
presentation by Diane Asay

This was an excellent presentation that gave me lots
of ideas for art games and sources of visual
resources.

- Using a variety of art prints, have students to make
connections between them based on the elements of art,
culture, or chronology.
- "Blind Date": Using prints with figures as their
main subject matter ask students to speculate as to
what it would be like "if these two went on a blind
date."
- "Name that Art Work": Put up a picture of a work of
art and have students to create a title for it.
- "Design a Gallery": Have students to design an art
gallery, deciding what color to paint the wall, where
to place each work of art, etc., inside a box.
- "Art Jeopardy": design a question chart using
categories like "Art Elements" or anything else you
can think of. Give each row of questions a point
value. Put in a few "Daily Doubles" and play like the
original Jeopardy game.
- "Memory": Using the Elements and Principles of Art
- Art Bingo
- Tic-Tac-Toe
-"Poster Reports": Students create posters about
artists. They include images of the artist's work and
the artist him/herself, Quote by or relating to the
artist or his/her work, A short biography of the
artist, and an area that notes other historical events
of the artist's time.
- "20 Questions": Each student is assigned or selects
an artist. They research the artist as much as
possible, even for trivial information. Throughout
the rest of the year, that student "is" that artist
and is the key participant or expert whenever the
artist is discussed during class.
- "Who Am I"
- "What's My Line"
- "Wheel of Fortune"
- "Artist's Birthday Celebrations"
- "Match art Term"
- "Quotes"
- "Historical Context Posters"
- "Greeting Cards"
- "Hole Punch Mosaics on 3" square paper"
- "Visual Resources": University Prints, contemporary
Magazines, National Geographic & Post Card
Distributors

"Various Paid Workshops" presented by Carol Burt
(Felted Wool)& Barbara Benton (Reclaim Painting for
Your Art Program).
- "Fish Print Banners": Print fish onto large white
paper and then paint with watercolors. Print relief
print designs onto four strips of paper and then glue
those strips to each end of the white paper. Using
Red ink print Congi(sp?) chops of words life "Peace"
and "Happiness" on the white paper.
- "Paper Plates": Trace a large circle onto white
paper that is suitable for watercolor. Using white
oil pastel, draw patterns in the circle. Glue on
small bits of tissue paper. Paint over entire circle
with watercolors. Circle plate may be cut or torn at
this time. Glue plate to a piece of colored
construction paper and then glue that to a piece of
black const. paper. I changed the last few steps a
little when I did it with my art club kids the other
day. I had them to glue the plate, uncut, onto a
piece or 18"X12" colored const. paper leaving space at
the bottom. Then they wrote an interesting title for
their plate in the lower space.
- "Kimonos": sorry, I don't have details for this one
yet.
- "Felting": The presenters brought in a variety of
wool fibers, some were straight off the sheep while
others had already been carded and dyed. We pulled
off thin sheets of the carded wool fibers and layered
them on top of each other in different directions. We
added many different colors of wool fibers, wool
yarn/strings, even small pieces of metallic string and
then one last thin layer of white wool to hold it all
together. The whole layered work was then put into a
tray with a non-slip mat in the bottom, warm water and
a little liquid soap, for lubrication. We then gently
rubbed the wool fibers together with a small circular
motion. Over time the microscopic "hooks" of the wool
fibers link together to make the materials hold
strong. We squeezed the soapy water out of the wool
mat and rinsed it in clean water. We then ironed the
mat between cloth towels and stitched on
embellishments like sequence and beads.
- At a painting workshop presented by Crayola we were
given a 16"X20" canvas board and a plate full of
acrylic paints. Two other tables were covered with a
still life that included things like cakes, wine
bottles, fruit, bread, flowers, cheese, etc. While we
were painting the still life our presenters served us
wine, from the still life itself. After we were
nearly done painting we got to eat the still life! It
was great, what a fun way to end a still life painting
activity. I thought it would really get the kids
excited.

Well, I think that's about it. I hope this helps
anyone who couldn't be there. Sorry it's so long.