Re: Budget cuts

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 08:15:06 PDT

I think that is a way to say the lack of school funding is the schools' fault
instead of taking personal responsibility for participating in a culture that
does not value public education. If the public felt as you say, they would not
be electing legislators who want to remove the minimum teacher salary
requirements in a state near the bottom of teacher pay, increase class size,
and stop contributing to benefits.

The public doesn't seem to have a problem with increasing prison funding, and
the public doesn't seem so concerned about where that money is going.

> If OK is anything like OH, I don't think the problem is that people
> don't want to fund education. I think they would be much more likely to
> vote for funding IF they felt confident that the money would actually
> get there and would actually be used for things like teacher salaries
> (for better teachers), supplies, buildings, etc.

---