RE: Budget cuts

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 07:39:24 PDT

Betty,

If OK is anything like OH, I don't think the problem is that people
don't want to fund education. I think they would be much more likely to
vote for funding IF they felt confident that the money would actually
get there and would actually be used for things like teacher salaries
(for better teachers), supplies, buildings, etc.

OH Gov. Taft is pushing through new tax bill to raise money. Will it go
to education? Nah; in fact, many school districts will be receiving
less over the next couple of years than they're getting now, and they're
already underfunded. But there is a proviso to create some
administration level jobs for Taft's friends, which will cost the
taxpayers about $2m.

Hopefully, voters will remember his promises, his lies, and how he threw
education to the bottom of the pile, and vote him out of office next
election.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---