Re: No child left behind survey

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 11:29:12 PDT

1. I teach 22 classes a week, first through fifth grade.
2. Each class is 55 minutes long.
3. I get three 55 minute blocks a week along with 5 30 minute blocks
after lunch everyday.
4. The schedule changed a little bit from last year. Last year I had
only an hour everyday for planning. Since the redistricting took
place, we got rid of 150 students, which in turn, gave me some planning
time.
5. I teach math for an hour everyday due to our extended day becuase
of snow. Our system chose to make up snow days everyday instead of at
the end of the year. I found it interesting that we were to spend the
extra time everyday making up only math or reading. What about the
instructional time that was lost in art? Obviously our system doesn't
really care about that. Why? It's not on tests...thats why! Instead
of just teaching math, I have incorportated art into the math area.
Since our teachers said that measuring and fractions were a problem, we
are doing an architecture unit with fifth graders that meets those
needs.
6. Yes...we've had meetings after school. Even our super has come to
discuss it.
7. I do think this policy will have an effect on the art program at my
school. We have already had people propose to get rid of or cut the art
budgets and time in the county. I never seem to be able to guess how
things will pan out with new programs, but I don't see much good coming
of the NCLB. With art not being on the tests, and tests being the goal
of education now, I see that the programs will struggle to exist, much
less flourish.

>>> jastarman@yahoo.com 04/09/03 01:50PM >>>
Survey

1. How many art classes do you teach?

2. How much time do you spend with each class?

3. How much planning time do you have per week?

4. If you have been at your school for multiple
years, has this schedule changed (for reasons other
than a growing poplutaion)?

5. Dou you participate in any other teaching
responsibilities that are not art related (ex.
literacy, tutoring, etc. )? Please describe.

If you answered yes, how much time per week do you
spend?

6. Has your administration discussed the new federal
policy, NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, with your faculty?

7. Do you think this policy has or will effect your
art program? How?

Please feel free to make any other comments about
NCLB.