Re: No child left behind

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 19:34:26 PDT

--- Jessie Starman <jastarman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1. How many art classes do you teach?
6 daily

> 2. How much time do you spend with each class?
45 minutes

> 3. How much planning time do you have per week?
45 minutes each day -3 hours 45 minutes

> 4. If you have been at your school for multiple
> years, has this schedule changed (for reasons other
> than a growing poplutaion)? N/A

> 5. Do you participate in any other teaching
> responsibilities that are not art related (ex.
> literacy, tutoring, etc. )? Please describe.
Students at my school have a homeroom Silent Sustained
Reading Time for 15-20 minutes daily. During this
time I work with 2-3 students doing online reading
activities - choosing to do online reading was my
choice.

> If you answered yes, how much time per week do you
> spend?
approx an hour and a half

> 6. Has your administration discussed the new
> federal policy, NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, with your
> faculty?
Only on an individual basis

> 7. Do you think this policy has or will effect your
> art program? How?
I think that its being used as an excuse to cut the
arts. It seems that budgets are already strapped and
that NCLB is adding to the strain.

The little reading I've done indicates that there is
funding available for the arts - particluarly for low
performing districts where arts have been shown to
make a difference. It may require more documentation
and research.

> Please feel free to make any other comments about
> NCLB.
I think there is a tremendous amount of confusion
regarding NCLB. I was informed that because of this
legislation I can not teach any other subjects. This
is contradictory to what I'm hearing from other
voices.

Hope this helps - Dawn