1. How many art classes do you teach?
7 classes per day Monday through Friday
2. How much time do you spend with each class?
42 minutes each
3. How much planning time do you have per week?
42 minutes per day (four days per week)
4. If you have been at your school for multiple
years, has this schedule changed ?
I've been in the school for 26 years and we have gone
from 6 periods per day to 7 periods and now 8 periods.
(the classes just get shorter)
5. Do you participate in any other teaching
responsibilities that are not art related ?
At present I give up my plan once a week to
see 10 students in an advisory group. (60 min per week)
Two years ago I taught reading twice per day and
last year I taught reading once per day.
If you answered yes, how much time per week do you
spend? (60 min per week)
6. Has your administration discussed the new federal
policy, NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND, with your faculty?
Yes, in great detail. Kansas has had to lower it's standards on state tests
so our students can attempt to meet requirements. The district is making
several changes to meet the new rules of operating.
7. Do you think this policy has or will effect your
art program? How?
Not at present, but in the future when 100% of our students (2013)
must meet the test requirements it is bound to be a squeeze.
Rosedale Middle School
Kansas City, Kansas