NAEA trip....outstanding!

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 17:35:04 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
In a daze/haze today with too little sleep and too many rambunctious middle
schoolers clambering for attention...but the memories of the NAEA are great!
The numbers were down (one "expert" said 2700 as opposed to 5,000
previously). It was still crowded but not as much so. Still pushing and
shoving for free samples from exhibitions and for presentation handouts. I'm
beginning to believe THAT will never change. Lots, and lots, and lots, and
LOTS of walking on the skyways but I didn't lose a pound as I ate my way
through the week.

Fun seeing new faces with familiar names from our list. Renee Berg was my
biggest surprise. I had pictured her so differently. Met several of our
listserv members who don't "talk" on the list but I hope they start soon as
they have so MUCH to add our lives and work.

Went to many workshops and presentations...some wonderful and some not so
wonderful. Was not able to make Ken's embossing workshop but heard it was
PACKED to the nines with eager faces to see what he was doing. Ken's
reputation is starting to proceed him!

Maggie White's Medieval Manuscript Workshop was fabulous...as usual...with
excellent handouts and so many choices to try. Thanks, Mag.

Ann Ayers' presentation (as opposed to her usual sculptural bookmaking
workshops) was really neat. She gave an hour's worth of different paper
decorating techniques she has used in her sculptural books. She now has a CD
with imovie clips for each technique selling for $35 and well worth it!
Their book-of-7-years-in-the-making is in "editor-form" and soon to come out
in August. Yeah!! About time! I had a chance to peruse it briefly and it
looks like it has all the workshops plus more rolled up in one book. Just
what we've all been panting for.

Went to an excellent "collograph printing without a press" presentation put
on by a lady called Silverman. Can't remember her first name. Wonderful.
This I will try soon. Tried to talk her into joining our listserv. Hope she
does some day...look out for the name Silverman.

Another workshop was "Wire Weave"....constructing a metal wire and mesh
relief sculpture. Assemble without using glue. Cut, tie, bend, "sew" with a
piece of wire used as a needle. Attach to backing without glue. (After doing
this workshop I have a NEWLY found love and appreciation for GLUE!) This one
was difficult for me as I wound up tearing up my hands with the wired mesh.
This was not my cup of tea but the idea was good.

Went to a good workshop on Tanjore art...paintings of India. Found this to
be interesting as I had not been exposed to Indian art as an activity. Great
technique but several of us thought of better ways to actually do this
project with other media to make it more successful for students. A good
learning experience and I'm glad I didn't miss it.

An excellent workshop was given by Jennifer Mason called "Beautiful Basic
Bookmaking". She showed us many bookmaking ideas and let us pick our own
style/type we wanted to try. I especially liked the rice/other decorated
papers she had brought for us to use. It's so nice to have good materials to
use in a workshop. I was truly sorry I had missed her previous workshop with
collograph and tin foil bas relief. I do hope I can get her handouts for
that one some day.

Friday our plane landed in snow but it soon disappeared. Actually...with all
the skyways...we never set foot outside in 5 days! Good job!!...Minneapolis!
It was a great NAEA!!! Toodles....Bunki

---